Charles is a Partner with Glaholt LLP and practices exclusively in the area of construction arbitration and litigation. Charles has acted in various international and domestic arbitrations and has appeared at various levels of the Ontario courts. His work focuses on large scale infrastructure projects, where he has represented owners, general contractors, construction managers, engineers and EPC firms both nationally and internationally. Charles has also acted for Canadian and American surety companies.Charles Powell
LL.B., University of Reading, Reading, United Kingdom, 2006
B.A. (Hons.), Carleton University, 2003
The Advocates' Society
Ontario Bar Association Construction and Infrastructure Law, Civil Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections
American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law and Young Lawyer’s Division
International Bar Association
- Acted for an owner in defending claims of prolongation and additional compensation on various solar generation projects throughout Ontario.
- Acted for a general contractor in prosecuting claims of additional compensation and extensions of time with respect to a solar generation project.
- Acted for various surety companies in defending claims made against performance and labour and material payment bonds and prosecuting claims for the surety pursuant to an indemnity agreement.
- Acted for an owner of an African power plant in the prosecution of claims for defective work and delay and defending claims of disruption in an ICC arbitration.
- Defended an owner of a nickel refining facility in Madagascar against claims of prolongation, disruption and additional compensation in an ICC arbitration.
- Acted for a subcontractor in an ICC arbitration in respect of claims on a hydroelectric dam.
- Acted for an owner in a claim against an engineer for gross negligence and breach of contract in the construction of an oil pipeline.