Jacob is experienced in advising and acting on behalf of various players within the construction industry. While most of his practice focuses on litigation and alternative dispute resolution, he is routinely involved in negotiating, drafting and reviewing construction contracts for clients across many sectors.
Jacob has worked on cases involving large, multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects, including tunneling, light rail, steelmaking and hospitals, and often appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and arbitral tribunals.
Jacob is actively involved with various leadership organizations and often lectures on topics such as construction tendering and contracts, prompt payment and adjudication, construction delay claims and the legal implications surrounding COVID-19 and the construction industry.
- Ontario Bar Association, Construction and Infrastructure Law Section
- Counsel for a participant in the Ottawa Light Rail Transit Public Inquiry, which investigated the commercial and technical circumstances that led to certain breakdowns and derailments.
- Ad hoc arbitration relating to the manufacture and supply of light rail vehicles to a major public infrastructure project
- Complex multi-party litigation relating to the redevelopment and construction of a new hospital
- Ad hoc arbitration in respect of a tunneling project involving a general contractor and municipality
- Counsel for other lawyers in respect of alleged professional negligence in handling of construction law matters
- “A Home Under Renovation is Not Necessarily “Under Construction”: Ontario Court of Appeal" Building Insight - Glaholt Bowles LLP Newsletter, Summer 2021 (Issue 16).
- “Newfoundland Court of Appeal and Ontario Superior of Justice Clarify Scope of Builder’s Risk Insurance Policies” (2019) Canadian College of Construction Lawyers Legal Update, 153.
- Podcast - “Episode 19: COVID-19, Ontario’s Essential Workplaces and the Suspension of Limitation Periods and Procedural Time Periods” Building Insight Podcast, April 17, 2020.
- Podcast - “Episode 14: Adjudication” Building Insight Podcast, October 22, 2020.