Brendan Bowles is devoted to excellence in client service in the practice of construction law. Since joining the firm in 1998 he has had the privilege of ongoing mentorship of leaders in the field, not only through his practice at Glaholt & Associates and Glaholt Bowles LLP, but also through 15 years of volunteering with the Executive of the Ontario Bar Association’s Construction and Infrastructure Law Section, and now through fellowship in the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers. At Glaholt Bowles he is fortunate to be supported by a team of outstanding support staff, students , associates and partners, all of whom share his dedication to client service and excellence in the practice of construction law.
Brendan has experience as team leader in all manner of construction related disputes and contract issues. Construction projects are technically complex, document heavy and relationship driven. Resolving disputes and solving problems requires a team who is prepared to understand and prioritize the client’s business concerns and strive for strategic solutions to legal challenges. Brendan is prepared to “go the distance” when necessary, but the team at Glaholt Bowles will always challenge themselves to find creative, proportionate resolutions that allow their clients to get back to business.
Outside of the office Brendan is a volunteer youth hockey coach with both the Etobicoke Dolphins Girls’ Hockey League and the George Bell Hockey Association. He is also a marathon runner: completed races include the Toronto Marathon and Marine Corps Marathon.
- OBA Construction and Infrastructure Law Section
- The Surety Association of Canada
- The Advocates' Society
- The Cambridge Club
- Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- The Advocates' Society - Volunteer Member-at-Large for the 2020-2021 Arbitration & Mediation Advocacy Practice Group
- Osgoode Hall LLM Programme
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
- Ryerson University
- George Brown College
- Infrastructure (New Transit Line): Counsel for designer in arbitration of disputes with contractor.
- Resort Hotel: Counsel for construction manager in disputes respecting project delay, contract termination and allegations of fraud.
- Hydro-Electric Transmission Stations: Co-counsel for contractor in arbitration of delay and loss of productivity claims.
- Major Transit Hub: Co-counsel for construction manager in multi-party lien and civil actions respecting renovation of major transit facility.
- Cultural and Religious Centre: Counsel for construction manager in disputes respecting project delay and costs overruns.
- Infrastructure (Justice Complex): Counsel for contractor in dispute with designer respecting costs overruns.
- Infrastructure (Hospital): Counsel for design -build contractor in disputes with project owner.
- Commercial Office Tower: Counsel for contractor in disputes with subcontractor respecting delays and disputed extras.
- Sports Complex: Counsel for owner in dispute with contractor and key suppliers in respect of shoddy workmanship and materials.
- Frequent counsel for other lawyers respecting alleged professional negligence in handling of construction law matters.
- Instructor, Construction Law: Ryerson University (20016-2010), George Brown College, (2011-2013)
- Guest Lecturer on Construction Law at Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development, and University of Toronto Faculty of Law
- CIArb and RICS: “Prompt Payment & Adjudication Symposium, Significant Change – Time for Alignment”, May 29, 2019, Toronto, Presentation: “Prompt Payment reforms Gather Momentum Across Canada”
- Toronto Lawyers Association: “TLA Nutshell – Don’t be Spooked by the Construction Lien Act Amendments”, October 30, 2018, Toronto Presentation: “Public Contracts and Bonding, Holdback, Trusts
- Society of Construction Law: 8th International Society of Construction Law Conference” September 28, 2018, Chicago, Presentation: “Mediation/Arbitration: Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution”
- The Canadian College of Construction Lawyers: 2018 Conference – “The Construction Lawyers’ Toolkit of the Future”, June 2, 2018, Banff, Alberta, Presentation: “Construction Trusts and Insolvency Update”
- The Canadian Institute: “3rd Annual Managing Risk in Construction Contracts & Projects”, February 6, 2018, Toronto, Presentation: “Essential case Law Updates from Across Canada”
"Construction Law", Lexpert Business of Law, April, 23, 2019
Application to Delete Construction Lien – A Cautionary Tale, The Ontario Bar Association, November 23, 2018
Legal Update 148, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, May 2018
"Summary Judgment in Construction Cases - Has the Culture Shifted?" Journal of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers 2018
“The Trouble with Money: After 30 Years, the Construction Lien Act will finally get a Makeover”, The Lawyers’ Weekly, May 15, 2015, at pp. 11-12.
“A Tough Act to Follow: In Ontario, Construction Liens come with Strict Rules and Harsh Penalties”, The Lawyers’ Weekly, November 29, 2013 at p. 16. Co-author: Martine Morin, LawPro.
B. Bowles, "Green Building", in Glaholt LLP and Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Review of Construction Law: Recent Developments (Toronto: Carswell, 2012) at pg 107.
Education & Admissions
- Lexpert – Most Frequently Recommended, 2019
- Who’s Who Legal Construction, 2019
- Law Society of Ontario, Certified Specialist in Construction Law, 2011
- The Surety Association of Canada, Associate in Canadian Surety Bonding, 2004