Charles is a Partner with Glaholt Bowles LLP and specializes in international and domestic construction arbitration. His work focuses on large scale infrastructure projects including refineries, pipelines, power generation facilities, rail, mining and tunneling. Charles has experience with arbitrations under ICC and UNCITRAL rules, as well as ad hoc rules.
Charles has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, engineers and EPCM firms both nationally and internationally. Charles has also represented both Canadian and American Surety companies with respect to enforcing obligations under indemnity agreements and defending claims on performance bonds and labour and material payment bonds.
- The Advocate’s Society
- Ontario Bar Association Construction and Infrastructure Law, Civil Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law and Young Lawyer’s Division
- International Bar Association
- Society of Construction Law, Regional Director Toronto Region
- CPR, International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Construction Advisory Committee
- Guest Lecturer, Osgood Hall LL. M. Program
- Guest Lecturer, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
- Lecturer, George Brown College Construction Law Course
- Speaker, Society of Construction Law, 2019 Spring Event
- Acted for a trackwork installation subcontractor in prosecution of claims for time and money with respect to a light rail transit project.
- Acted for an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management firm in an ad hoc arbitration proceeding related to a nickel hydrometallurgical processing facility.
- Acted for a general contractor in prosecuting claims for additional compensation and extensions of time in an ad hoc arbitration related to a solar generation project.
- Acted for an owner in defending claims of prolongation and additional compensation on various solar generation projects throughout Ontario.
- Acted for various surety companies in defending claims made against performance and labour and material payment bonds and prosecuting claims for the surety pursuant to an indemnity agreement.
- Acted for an owner of an African power plant in the prosecution of claims for defective work and delay and defending claims of disruption in an ICC arbitration.
- Defended an owner of a nickel refining facility in Madagascar against claims of prolongation, disruption and additional compensation in an ICC arbitration.
- Acted for a subcontractor in an ICC arbitration in respect of claims on a hydroelectric dam.
- Acted for an owner in a claim against an engineer for gross negligence and breach of contract in the construction of an oil pipeline.