Derrick Dodgson joined Glaholt Bowles LLP as an associate in 2017 after Summering and Articling at the firm. Derrick has been involved in a wide variety of litigation and international arbitration matters and his experience includes conducting legal research, preparing written submissions, coordinating documentary discovery, examining and cross-examining witnesses, and attending court on motions and case conferences. Derrick has worked extensively on litigation teams in cases involving large, multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects. Derrick has also contributed to industry publications including the Construction Law Letter.
Derrick obtained his J.D. from the Western University Faculty of Law, where he competed and placed in internal and external advocacy competitions including the Canadian Client Consultation Competition and the Canadian Corporate/ Securities Law Moot. Prior to law school, Derrick studied Civil Engineering, obtaining his B.Sc. (Eng) from Queen’s University.
- Ad hoc arbitration relating to engineering, procurement, and construction management of a nickel hydrometallurgical processing facility
- Ad hoc arbitration relating to construction of civil works and structural engineering for a hydroelectric facility and related infrastructure
- Extensive multi-party and multi-disciplinary litigation in respect of a renovation, restoration, and expansion project for a major rail transit hub
- Contract drafting, negotiation, and dispute resolution in respect of high-rise residential construction projects
- Model law challenges to enforcement of an ICC arbitration award
- Lien and trust claims in respect of materials supplied to projects affected by bankruptcy, insolvency, and CCAA proceedings
- “The Uncertainty of Construction Without a Written Contract” (2019) Glaholt LLP Newsletter, Winter 2019 (Issue 6)
- “Case Comment: Valard v. Bird, 2018 SCC 8” (2018) Glaholt LLP Newsletter, Spring 2018 (Issue 3)
- “Termination: Treat Convenience With Caution” (2017) 33:6 Construction Law Letter