Ivan Merrow is a construction lawyer and litigator at Glaholt Bowles LLP. Prior to joining the firm, Ivan practiced commercial and construction litigation at a national full-service law firm. True to his calling in the legal field, Ivan is hard-working, precise and analytic. Most importantly, he knows that listening is the key to success when working with clients and teams.
Ivan's practice focuses on providing exceptional legal service to organizations and individuals in the construction industry. He represents clients at every level of the construction supply chain, including developers, owners, general contractors, subcontractors, sureties, engineers, and architects. Ivan most frequently acts in disputes involving contracts, liens, trusts, bonds, delay claims, deficiencies and professional negligence.
Ivan seeks to resolve disputes efficiently through a combination of advocacy, alternative dispute resolution and negotiation. He has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and has acted in ad hoc arbitrations arising from large-scale infrastructure projects. In addition to his law degree, Ivan holds an M.B.A. degree from Queen’s University. When clients require proactive advice relating to construction contracts, procurement processes and design agreements, Ivan provides business-oriented insight through the lens of a litigator.
Outside of the firm, Ivan serves as an executive of the Young Lawyers’ Division of the Ontario Bar Association. He regularly writes articles and speaks on issues related to professionalism, civil procedure and construction law. During his university studies, Ivan won multiple awards for his academic success in legal ethics, operations, technical writing and information technology. He maintains an avid interest in technology and innovation, especially as they relate to the construction and legal industries.
- Executive, Ontario Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 2018 – Present
- Toronto Construction Association
- Ontario Bar Association, Construction & Infrastructure Section
- Canadian Bar Association, Construction & Infrastructure Section
- The Advocates’ Society, Construction Law Practice Group
- Society of Construction Law North America
- International Bar Association
- Successfully obtained a trial judgment for breach of trust and defamation, along with a dismissal of the opposing party’s counterclaim
- Acted for design-builder in an arbitration related to a public infrastructure project
- Advised construction industry stakeholders regarding contractual amendments to the Construction Act
- Successfully dismissed a class action proceeding alleging securities misrepresentation in Web Objective, Inc. v. SociaLabra, Inc., 2018 ONSC 664 (CanLII)
- Acted in the successful dismissal of a summary judgment motion in its entirety in Hussaini v Checroune, 2017 ONSC 2435 (CanLII)
- Successfully dismissed twin actions alleging breach of contract and negligence for failing to disclose a reasonable cause of action
- Divine Discoveries: Building a Great Case, Ontario Bar Association, 2019
Rankings & Recognition
- Heidi Thiessen Memorial Award, 2009
- C. Thomas Asplund Memorial Award in Legal Ethics, 2015
- McCarthy Tetrault LLP Scholarship in Legal Ethics, 2015
- Derek Russell Award in Operations and Information Technology, 2014
- Beresford-Knox Scholarship in Law, 2011
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: Preparing Yourself and Your Client for Discovery, Ontario Bar Association, 2019
- Substantial Compliance Overcomes Irregularity in Public Procurement, College of Canadian Construction Lawyers Legal Update 153, 2019